Move to Establish a Concord-Carlisle Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
The Concord-Carlisle League of Women Voters is urging the Concord Select Board to establish a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Commission. Together with the Concord-Carlisle School Committee’s recent hire of DEI Director Andrew Nyamekye, and Town Manager Stephen Crane’s hire of a consultant to assess DEI in Concord, the resulting findings and action items will be central. The LWV of CC has requested time on the agenda in July after the Concord Town Meeting.
Anti-Bias & Civil Rights Action Items
Resources from Robbins House board member Isabelle Willliams, who works with the Anti-Defamation League:
- Current legislation being considered throughout New England related to issues of civil rights, education, hate crimes, etc., – contact state representatives to support.
- Urge your Senators to end discriminatory voting restrictions by passing the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act (ADL-hosted form to contact senators).
- Urge Massachusetts legislators to enable all qualified Massachusetts residents, regardless of immigration status, to apply for a standard license or identification card by co-sponsoring the Work and Family Mobility Act.
- Resources focusing on anti-Asian bigotry and recommendations for allies.
- Resource list focusing on anti-Black racism, including issues related to police violence and the criminal justice system.
- A broader range of anti-bias tools and strategies.
- AAPI resource guide compiled by APIs CAN (Asian Pacific Islander Civic Action Network).
- Share this Anti-Asian Hate Social Campaign Toolkit and promote the #ProtectAllPeople Anti-Asian Hate Social Media Campaign.
- Follow activists, journalists, and artists on social media and promote their work. You can also follow The Bail Project on Instagram, or Colin Kaepernick’s Know Your Rights Camp on Twitter.